Understanding and prioritizing mental well-being has become indispensable as we navigate an increasingly complex and demanding world. Throughout Mental Health Awareness Month, Cantata Health Solutions has been sharing mood-boosting and spirit-lifting activities that our team members engage in, hoping to inspire others to practice self-care. From promoting awareness using simple but effective green ribbons to sharing stories and experiences, Cantata cares!
Although this month is coming to a close, mental health matters all year round. Keep reading for valuable tips and insights on nourishing your mind, cultivating resilience, and embracing a healthier, happier you!
- Exercise early! Morning exercise can give you the energy needed to jump-start your day! It will also boost your metabolism and help you sleep better at night.
- Volunteer! Giving up some of your time to help others can boost your self-confidence, self-esteem, and life satisfaction. It is also an excellent way to gain new skills and make friends!
- Get Outside! Whether you go for a hike, ride your bike, or relax on the beach, the sun and fresh air can do wonders for your mental health, such as reducing stress and improving your mood.
- Make time for yourself! You shouldn’t feel like you need to fill every hour of the day with activity. Practicing the three “Rs,” Relax, Rest, and Reset is important. These three words can help regulate emotions, improve focus, and promote healthier decision-making.
- Practice Yoga! Yoga is a great activity to lower stress, improve focus, and boost your mood. Starting the day with yoga will give you a more positive mindset to face the day head-on. Ending the day with yoga can help you relax and lead to a better night’s sleep.
- Gardening! Brighten up your life with some color! Tending to your garden on a regular basis enforces organization, structure, and cleanliness – all of which can boost mood and brain chemistry and help ease stress and anxiety.
- Play an instrument! Whether you’re banging on the drums to let off some steam or strumming along to your favorite song on guitar when you’re sad, playing an instrument is a great way to cope with hardships. Let your creativity shine!
- Family Time! It is important to spend time with the people you love the most while you still have them around. Building these relationships can provide you with a greater sense of purpose and reduce feelings of loneliness.
- Meditating can give you a sense of calm, peace, and balance that can benefit your emotional well-being and overall health! You can also use it to relax and cope with stress by refocusing your attention on something more soothing.
- Spend time with your pet! How can you be sad with a cute, fluffy friend by your side? Studies show that pets can ease loneliness and help reduce stress, anxiety, and depression. Owning a dog encourages exercise and can improve your overall health!
- Cook/Bake! Maybe all you need is the taste of your favorite meal/treat to boost your mood! Cooking/baking can enhance relaxation and creativity. Everyone deserves a cheat day!
- Write down your thoughts! Venting onto a piece of paper can be enough to organize your emotions. Lay out all your stressors to help you organize and prioritize your tasks. Jot down negative feelings about someone or something so you don’t crack and hurt anyone’s feelings. Write down the things you are grateful for to help you recognize the good during bad times.
- Read a book! Everyone needs an escape from reality at times. Reading allows you to leave your world and all its problems behind and enter a new one! It also improves brain functions such as memory, comprehension, and mental stimulation.
- Talk on the phone! Call someone you haven’t spoken with in a while, check in on them, and reminisce about the good old days. The memories will surely bring a smile and improve your mood!
- Take a vacation day! For no reason, take a day off from work! During this time, you can run errands, practice a hobby, or do nothing at all! In the words of Winnie the Pooh, “Doing nothing often leads to the very best of something” (aka good mental health).
- Good to bed early! A potential culprit to one’s poor mental health may be due to lack of sleep. For a few consecutive days, try going to bed early and get over 8 hours of sleep. You will feel nice and refreshed come morning!
- Buy yourself something nice! As long as you’re not spending money you don’t have, it’s okay to treat yourself occasionally. Sometimes, a new outfit or hairstyle is all it takes to boost your confidence and self-esteem.
- Go for a drive! Ignore today’s gas prices and go for a nice long drive—it doesn’t have to have a specific destination. You can invite the company of friends or family members or take some time alone with your thoughts and/or favorite music.
- Organize a get-together! Whether a house party or a nice dinner, get friends and/or family together and enjoy a night out! The gathering will serve as a nice change of pace from your daily, stress-filled life.
- Go to therapy! Admitting you need outside help to maintain your mental health is perfectly okay. Therapy will help you confront your thoughts and feelings and teach you healthy ways to cope with your emotions. It will also help you build self-esteem, reduce anxiety, and improve social and community functioning.
At Cantata Health Solutions, we understand mental health’s complexities and support all efforts to increase awareness, reduce stigma, and promote mental well-being. Cantata Health is committed to providing innovative solutions that empower healthcare providers to deliver person-centered care, ultimately enhancing mental health for both clinicians and the individuals they serve. Together, let’s continue the conversation around mental health and create a supportive, inclusive environment for all!
Thank you for being part of this journey with us. We invite you to explore our mental health solutions and learn more about how they can help you and your community. With Cantata Health, you have the power to make a difference in the lives of others. Let’s lead together in creating healthier communities for those we serve!